Using an online survey requiring no more than 15 minutes to complete, Optimizer720® examines the way stakeholders perceive an organization’s challenges and opportunities.
The survey is based on a set of carefully selected business drivers, competencies and statements.
Carefully crafted statements measure stakeholder perceptions.
Optimizer720 surveys internal and external stakeholders on the same set of statements – 36 for all enterprises, and 48 for family enterprises. One statement typically addresses a business process while the other addresses a business practice. These perception-based results capture the opinion of participants around how they understand and how they have experienced the way the business operates. Scores are simple averages of statement ratings.
- Up to five open-ended questions capture information on company-specific issues, and enable leaders and their advisors to drill down on drivers and competencies built into the survey. Questions can be tailored to an issue or respondent category (Internal, External or Associate).
- Participants are asked to rate each statement on a 7-point Likert scale, ranging from Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree.
- All survey participants respond to the same statements, with some minor wording changes to reflect the respondent’s relationship to the company. For example, a statement may refer to “we” for employees while using the company name for customers.
- Respondent groups can be segmented by, for example, division or location, enabling even more precise and useful insights.
Who is surveyed?
The survey captures data for three respondent categories and five or more respondent groups (selectable). These are:
- Internal: Managers, Employees
- External: Customers, Network (e.g. suppliers or agents)
- Associates: Other (non-executive) stakeholders, owners/shareholders (not directly involved in the business), board members, investors, referrers, and so forth.
The system provides a variety of emails to communicate with respondents before, during and after the survey is closed.
What is measured?
Perceptions are measured against a set of carefully selected performance drivers – 9 for mid-market businesses and 12 for family businesses. Each driver broken down into two contributing factors (competencies). Each competency has two statements that survey respondents are asked to rate.
Here is a sample of a complete statement set for one of the two competencies associated with the business driver, “Opportunity”:
Outward Looking (competency)
Internal (respondent group)
- We constantly look for ways to get new customers/clients
- We adjust our marketing programs based on market trends.
External (respondent group)
- [companyname] constantly looks for ways to get new customers/clients.
- [companyname] adjusts its marketing programs based on market trends.
Associate (respondent group)
- [companyname] constantly looks for ways to get new customers/clients
- [companyname] adjusts its marketing programs based on market trends
Analysis and Reporting
Once the survey is closed off, the data is analyzed and a comprehensive and highly visual report is generated. This report displays the data in a variety of ways, including:
The methodology enables owners, executives, and their consultants to compare and contrast the perceptions of different stakeholder groups, and to zero in on problem areas related to performance and the business’s strategic direction.
Optimizer720’s Relationship Index evaluates each external respondent group’s loyalty to, and willingness to advocate for, a brand or company. When calculated for internal groups, it measures how satisfied and engaged staff are with their employer and the workplace/organization. Specifically, it answers these questions…
- For customers, suppliers, and other external stakeholders, would they recommend the business’s products or services to others?
- For managers and employees, would they recommend the company as a great place to work?
For family enterprises, the Relationship Index also measures the confidence stakeholders have in the way the owners deal with overlapping business, management, and family interests. Most importantly, it reveals whether stakeholders believe the business is in good hands with both current and likely future family members.
Our unique Interactive Webcube™ enables the quick identification of issues deserving attention. It provides a snapshot of the way different groups perceive a company’s performance on business drivers, competencies and even the individual statements that survey respondents are asked to rate.
Each Optimizer720 Certified Consultant receives a personal Dashboard for managing all of their projects.
The comprehensive training that is central to the Optimizer720 certification process explains how to use this Dashboard, and explains all aspects of managing the survey, as well as presenting the findings, and identifying performance improvement projects in a Rapid Results meeting (an integral part of every Optimizer720 project).
For more information, contact Aron Pervin, Founder and President, by email or at